There are many dangers associated with online dating including rape, death and theft. The threats may be extreme, but most people log in with anonymity and there are those who use personas to lure people online.
It is one of the rapidly growing social networking trends in this century, but those fond of online dating must be cautious and act safe before, after and while meeting potential mates.
Dangers of Internet Dating
- There are 3 main issues surrounding online dating such as married men and women looking for extramarital affairs, stalkers and overseas scammers.
- Several people use the sites for online dating to look for partners they can build a relationship with, only to be conned of hundreds to thousands of dollars
- There are those who are already married but are looking for sexual partners online.
- The first two factors mainly affect the heart and the wallet, while the third may be a potential threat of physical well-being. Cyber stalkers may use these online dating sites to reach people, spam their emails, and take their identities or even worse start stalking people in real life.
- People believe that dating online is safe since the use of the internet build an anonymity barrier between people until they are willing meet.
- It is unfortunate that savvy users of the internet may trace IP addresses, hack sites and in certain cases use personal data slips to find someone in real life; it does matter whether they wanted it or not.
- The anonymity shroud flows in either direction, someone may appear as one thing online and the other in real life
- Just because you have exchanged a couple of emails and some casual comments via messages do not mean that you now know everything concerning that person. Be very cautious if you want to engage in online dating
Not Entirely Safe
- You face the risk of meeting a new person; it does not matter how slowly you handle things and how careful you are. People tend to lie a lot online.
- One’s online dating profile is like a CV in most cases; manipulated a little but basically the actual thing. Even if the picture looks like it was taken from a great angle, the charm, and wit in it is the result of several rough drafts, the essence of the actual person still will come out.
- There are those who lie a lot on their profiles. They may be having kids or are married. Still a psycho stalker will never give his or her real identity in their profiles
- It is very important that your first meeting should be in a public place, maybe in some company
There’s Nothing as Perfect
- People have unrealistic expectations of you if you are very specific about your needs.
- With the large dating pool offered by the internet, you may want the best; a brain surgeon, a rocket scientist, an underwear model, shopaholics, an island owner and so on.
- That kind of person may be out there, yes, but these people have no problem finding dates. Who knows, maybe the person is not what he seems to be.
Related Posts Regarding Online Dating Dangers: